Main navigation


School Nurse

Roosevelt School Nurse

School Nurse
Madie Nelson

Hello and Welcome. My name is Madie Nelson and I am the full-time school nurse at Roosevelt High School. As a Seattle Public Schools employee, I am responsible for all students and staff – no special registration required.

I am a master’s prepared registered nurse and hold a Washington State Registered Nurse license. I am also a certified critical care nurse. I have over 12 years nursing experience, much of which was in the critical care setting working with a wide variety of populations and health conditions.

I share space with the Teen Health Center. My office can be found in 255-D (north-east corner on the 2nd floor). I look forward to working with you and your student to manage any acute or ongoing health concerns. 

School nurses play an important role on the education team. They collaborate with families and other school staff to promote student health. School nurses work to develop Emergency Action Plans for students with diabetes, seizures, severe allergies, and other life-threatening conditions. They also develop Individual Care Plans for other health conditions and medically fragile students.

School nurses assess health considerations for students who are being evaluated for Special Education. They are responsible for state mandated vision and hearing screenings and work closely with counselors to determine medical considerations related to 504 plans. School nurses also work with local health departments regarding communicable diseases and immunization compliance in school.

COVID-19 Resources

Anyone 12 years or older is now eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine.

Fall Flu Shots

Protect yourself and your community from the flu. Students (ages 4 and older), staff, and community members can get their annual flu shot at one of the flu shot clinics.

Most forms of insurance (including Apple Health and Medicaid) and cash or check are accepted. Students who are enrolled in their school-based health center can also get the flu shot. Visit the King County School Health website for a listing of locations.

Nutrition Support

The “RHS Packs for Teens” program provides take-home packs of food for any student who may need additional food outside of school. Packs can be picked up in the School Nurse Office in 255D.

Students may sign up for weekly food, household supplies, and hygiene product deliveries to their homes. Please email or call Nurse Madie to be connected with this resource.

This program is support by the Roosevelt PTSA parent group, the University District Food Bank, and community donations.
Grab-and-go lunches and snacks are available in the RHS commons. These are free to all students.

SPS Nutrition Services

Nutrition – My Plate (USDA)

Mental Health Support

Resources for Chronic Health Conditions

Prepare for Your Student’s Health at School

Washington state law requires that school staff and parents plan together for the safe care of their child throughout the school day.

Health Issues

Please report any health issue your child has that could impact safety and learning at school to the school nurse. You can contact the nurse directly by phone or email.

Medication at School

If your child needs to take any type of medication during the school day, even if it’s temporary, a medication form must be completed by the child’s health care provider and signed by parent. Authorization for Medications Taken at School (multiple languages)

School health rooms do not keep medications on hand for general use. Medications must be supplied to the school by the parents/guardians for their student’s individual needs. All medications must be brought to school in their original container/box with prescription label attached (if it’s a prescription medication) in order to be administered.

Medical Treatments at School

If your child needs a treatment at school, such as: G-tube feeding, insulin calculation, clean urinary catheterization, suctioning, nebulizer, dressing change, and others please have the health care provider complete the treatment form. Authorization for Treatments and Procedures to be Performed at School

School-Based Health Centers

Students have access to additional health services through the school-based health center located at this or a nearby school.

Services are available to all students, regardless of their ability to pay. Your insurance may be billed and this program is also supported by the Seattle Families, Education, Preschool, and Promise Plan.

Services include immunizations, sports physicals, prescriptions, reproductive healthcare, mental health counseling, lab tests, and nutrition counseling.

Families must enroll their student to receive most services. Students can enroll themselves for confidential health services.

When to Keep Your Student Home

Additional Resources