Roosevelt High School

High School
Counseling Center

College Applications Nuts & Bolts for Seniors

How to Apply for College

*Attention Seniors

Mid-Year transcripts for colleges:

Mid-Year Transcripts will be available in the SPS system on or about February 16th.  RHS Counselors will upload them into the Common App when available. If  your Non-Common App Colleges need Mid-Year Transcripts please request these via your Naviance account.


Check your e-mail regularly! Colleges use this as their primary way to communicate with you.

Check your Counselor Schoology page regularly! This is where we post regular updates and opportunities.

Provide plenty of lead-time for letters of recommendation. Determine how many recommendations are required (most public universities do not require or want recommendations). Ask your counselor and teachers before electronically inviting them into your application – invite them well in advance of any deadlines (at least 3 weeks). Counselors need you to complete the “Brag Sheet” to write your recommendation. *Please contact your counselor directly for a Brag Sheet* We suggest you waive your right to access recommendations when using the Common Application; colleges put more stock in confidential recommendations.

If your list of colleges is long, consider reducing to 10 or fewer schools include Safety, Target (probable) and Reach schools.

College rep visits to RHS – Check Naviance (Naviance>Colleges>College Visits), the TV screen outside the Main Office, or outside Room 110 for posted college visit dates. The reps are often the same people that read your applications so this can be a great chance to make a connection.

Plan-ahead, organize, and watch those deadlines. Check the website for every college on your list for specific requirements and deadlines. Many schools utilize the Common Application. Consider making a spreadsheet to track deadlines and steps for the schools to which you are applying. Note financial aid priority dates, as well.

Application Quick Notes: Roosevelt does not report class rank and our GPA is Unweighted. You can check with the RHS Counseling Office in the Fall about the size of the class of 2024.

Financial Aid

To apply for financial aid, plan to file the FAFSA or WASFA soon after October 1

This is how you qualify for grants, loans, or work study. Many scholarships ask for information from the FAFSA. Some schools also require you to complete the CSS Profile. FAFSA/WASFA workshops will be available across the district. These dates will be advertised.

Seattle Promise Any graduate of Seattle Public Schools can earn two tuition-free years of college credit at Seattle Central College, North Seattle College, or South Seattle College. You must apply to both the college and the Seattle Promise program by the deadlines (TBD). In addition, you need to submit your FAFSA/WASFA in January 2024 (Priority Deadline), or by the final deadline. If you have been a Running Start student, the number of credits you can earn includes those you have already earned during high school. You can meet with our Seattle Promise Outreach Specialist, for more info, or talk with your counselor.

Scholarships – Start researching now! You can check the RHS Scholarship Bulletin which is updated regularly and the Roosevelt Scholarships folder in Schoology for opportunities specific to Roosevelt seniors. It is also posted on the Counseling Center page under “Scholarship Information” from the RHS website tab “Resources and Services”. Many colleges have their own scholarships for which you may qualify, so check with each college’s Financial Aid/Scholarship page. Watch the college scholarship deadlines – sometimes they are different from the general application deadline and have priority FAFSA deadlines, as well.

Transcripts & Test Scores

  • Some colleges do not want a transcript at the time of application (for example, UW/UC schools) –
    you self-report your grades and send a transcript once you are accepted.
  • If you are applying through the Common Application, your counselor will upload your transcript.
  • For non-Common App schools, you will need to request high school transcripts through
    Naviance. See instructions on your School Counseling Schoology page or on the RHS website
    Counseling Center page under senior information.
  • You are also responsible for mailing transcripts from any other schools you have attended during
    your high school career, including schools attended as part of an exchange program, online
    programs, and Running Start.
  • If submitting test scores, you are responsible for having your SAT and/or ACT scores sent directly to colleges.
    • SAT scores on College Board
    • ACT Scores
    • Many schools also require a mid-year report and/or first semester grades. Counselors will send in the mid-year report and updated transcript online for Common Application schools. For other colleges, you will use the transcript request process through Naviance. If you need quarter grades submitted for any college, you must let your counselor know as these are not submitted automatically.

RHS Counseling Office

During senior year, students can email their counselors with questions and/or make an appointment for assistance with the college application process. See your School Counseling Schoology page for the Bookings link to schedule. The Common Application and other online applications will ask for your counselor’s contact information. Counselors can also connect you to additional college application and financial aid support through our Career Counselor, our UW Career & College Readiness Associate, and our Seattle Promise Recruitment Specialist.